Summer Fun at the MFAH
Welcome! The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, is the place to be this summer, with activities for all ages—adults and kids alike. You'll find wonderful opportunities to connect with and explore the world of art through gallery programs, guided tours, art-making, films, and more. The MFAH is especially lively on Thursdays, when general admission is free and the Museum is open late. Kids 12 & under always get in free to the MFAH!
► Hours and Admissions
► Información sobre el Museo
► General Tips for All Visitors
► Visiting Tool Kit for Families
► Parking Info • Please note that parking has changed!
► Enjoying the Museum for Free
See & Do Something New Every Day!
In addition to the ideas below, check the online calendar often for a look at all the possibilities.
Explore the Art
• Ron Mueck on view through August 13
• Pipilotti Rist: Pixel Forest and Worry Will Vanish on view through September 17
• Paint the Revolution: Mexican Modernism, 1910–1950 on view June 25–October 1
• Homelands and Histories: Photographs by Fazal Sheikh on view through October 1
• and more!
Bring the Family
Discover everything the Museum has to offer with these programs and activities for families! Check the links below for more information.
At the MFAH
• Sunday Family Zone Sundays, 1–4 p.m.
• Sunday Family Studio Selected Sundays, 1 & 2:30 p.m.
• MFAH Playdate Tuesdays in June & July, and Tuesday, August 2,10:45 a.m.
• Family Storybook Circle Tuesdays in June & July, and Tuesday, August 1, 11:30 a.m.
• Zine-Making Workshop Wednesdays, June 28 & July 12, 1 p.m.
• Summer Art Explorers Thursdays in June & July, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
• Little Artists First Friday and Saturday of the month, 10:30 a.m.
• Our Youngest Artists Fourth Friday and Saturday of the month, 10:30 & 11:30 a.m.
At the House Museums
• Detective Days at Bayou Bend Tuesdays–Saturdays, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Sundays, 1–4 p.m.
• Father’s Day Weekend at Bayou Bend June 17 & 18, 1–4 p.m.
• 4th of July Celebration at Bayou Bend Wednesday, July 4, 12 noon–5 p.m.
• Storytime Tours at Rienzi Wednesdays in June & July, 10 a.m.
• Family Art Workshops at Rienzi Selected Thursdays in June & July, 10 a.m.
• Father’s Day Tours at Rienzi Sunday, June 18, 1–5 p.m.
Let’s Go to the Movies
See a movie on the big screen! The MFAH presents the best in cinema year-round, and the Museum’s Brown Auditorium Theater is the perfect place to beat the summer heat.
► See the schedule & get tickets.
Museum Experience Day
Saturday, July 29
► Free general admission all day!
Celebrate the arts of Houston at the Houston Museum District’s Museum Experience Day. The MFAH joins Zone 3 neighbors the Jung Center and Contemporary Arts Museum Houston with activities and fun for all ages. More Info
Time to Eat
Fuel your outing with a stop at the MFA Café, open for lunch Tuesday through Sunday! In addition to the Italian-inspired menu, enjoy daily specials and weekend brunch options.
Plus, you can check to see which of the different daily food trucks are parked in the historic South Lawn, located behind the Law Building at 1001 Bissonnet.
On weekdays, bring your lunch receipt from the MFA Café or food truck to any admissions desk and receive free same-day general admission from 12 noon to 2 p.m. Enter the Museum during those hours, and stay as long as you wish, until closing time.
Visit Bayou Bend
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens, the MFAH house museum for American decorative arts, is set amidst 14 acres of beautiful gardens in the historic River Oaks neighborhood.
► For more about Bayou Bend, visit mfah.org/bayoubend or call 713.639.7750.
Rienzi, the MFAH house museum for European decorative arts, sits on four acres of wooded gardens in River Oaks.
► For more about Rienzi, visit mfah.org/rienzi or call 713.639.7800. Rienzi is closed in August.
Check It Out! More for Families
Make your visit a great experience for the entire family.
Looking for fun gallery activities?
► Visit the Kinder Foundation Education Center to discover the possibilities.
Interested in more family programs?
► Visit the online calendar for year-round activities.
Questions? Feel free to e-mail email@example.com for more information.